PROTECTING HUMAN RIGHTS IN TIMES OF COVID-19
A brief overview of statements and recommendations by the UN human rights mechanisms
The International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) has documented and compiled the following existing public statements issues by the UN human rights mechanisms and experts, to assist and support our partners in guaranteeing human rights protection and monitoring human rights-compliance of governments’ action in addressing the COVID-19 outbreak.
You can find a landing page for these recommendations in the ISHR website or by clicking here. Both this document and the webpage will be regularly updated with the most recent statements.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has created a landing page (access here) for the different statements issued by the Special Procedures experts, the Treaty Bodies committees, the High Commissioner for Human Rights, or the Office itself. We have prepared a summary of the key concerns and recommendations raised in these statements
Some of the resources below also exist in several or all other UN official languages, including in Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese or Russian. The translations are regularly updated, please check regularly here.
- 4 May 2020 (Joint Statement) IMF: Empower Civic Groups Against Covid-19 Corruption Public Oversight Key to Monitoring Emergency Funding
- 30 April 2020 Libya The Cairo Institute and the Libya Platform urge the international community to take meaningful steps toward a genuine end to the conflict
- 28 April 2020 Yemen Urgent Measures Needed to Protect Civilians from COVID-19
- 13 April 2020 Joint Statement by 59 Non-Governmental Organizations on The Announcement of a Temporary Ceasefire in Yemen
- 11 April 2020 192 Organizations Urge UN Security Council to Support Global Ceasefire
- 9 April 2020 IMF: Make COVID-19 Funds Transparent, Accountable
International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
- 9 April 2020 ICJ joins in highlighting COVID-19 human rights issues at Human Rights Council
- 8 April 2020 Colombia: COVID-19 policies should include conflict-related measures, especially for human rights defenders
- 3 April 2020 United Nations Global Humanitarian Agreement and UN Mission in Colombia’s call for a ceasefire and we ask for the protection of the lives of all vulnerable people in the midst of the pandemic
European Commission Coronavirus Response
- News on the EU-coordinated response to the coronavirus outbreak and the European Parliament’s actions
Council of Europe web portal
CoE Commissioner for Human Rights
African Union Covid-19