Protection International is an international, non-profit organisation that brings protection strategies and security management tools to human rights defenders at risk. Since 2004, Protection International has been working with local partners in over thirty countries throughout the world.
Protection International envisions a world where human rights and fundamental freedoms are universally recognized and respected, and where everyone has the right to defend these rights and freedoms without fear of threats or attack.
Our mission is to support human rights defenders through comprehensive protection programmes. Our programmes help defenders build their capacities in order to manage their protection effectively, to allow those that protect them fulfil their obligations, and to convince other individuals and institutions with a stake in the protection of human rights defenders to maximise their positive contribution. Protection International always works in partnership with defenders.
For more information, please contact Liliana De Marco Coenen.
- Research Findings: 'Navigating Risk, Managing Security, and Receiving Support'
Alice Nah, our Board Director, developed with the Centre for Applied Human Rights of York University a research project on ‘Navigating Risk, Managing Security, and Receiving Support’ focusing on the experiences of human rights defenders in Colombia, Mexico, Kenya, Egypt, and Indonesia. The research findings are available in English, Arabic, Spanish, Kiswahili and Bahasa Indonesia. […]
- Online Discussion: Holistic security in practice
Join us for an online discussion on holistic security with Senior Advisor Nora Rehmer. Context Human rights work is a fulfilling and rewarding vocation. But it can also be frustrating, exhausting, and risky. We know that it is important to think about psycho-social well-being, organizational security, legal and digital security, yet we struggle to put […]
- INDONESIA Indonesian UPR Session in UN Human Rights Council – Press Statement
Press Statement “Response to Indonesian UPR Session in UN Human Rights Council” Indonesian civil society expresses its greatest appreciation to the Government of Indonesia which has exhibited its commitment to cooperate openly and dialogically with the international human rights mechanism by attending the Universal Periodic Review Session (UPR) at the UN Human Rights Council on […]
- THAILAND The Southern Peasants' Federation of Thailand under attack
Unprecedented case of judicial harassment of land rights defenders in the South of Thailand Fifteen land rights defenders members of the Nam Deang Pattana Development Community (Surathani Province), two of them women human rights defenders have been charged with three criminal offenses. This community belonging to the Southern Peasants’ Federation of Thailand (SPFT) has been […]
- GUATEMALA Guatemala – Attacks Against Guatemalan Human Rights Defenders Denounced
• Communities and organizations appealed to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, urging the State of Guatemala, private businesses, and investors to guarantee the human rights of people and communities affected by large hydroelectric projects. • They presented a report, outlining 10 different cases, which documents 273 incidents of threats, criminalization, and attacks against defenders, […]
- Online course "security and protection management for human rights defenders"
We are pleased to announce the opening of the registration for the online course “Security and protection management for human rights defenders and social organisations” mainly addressed to NGOs, social organizations and persons interested in the security work for HRD, their organizations and/or communities. Why take this course? Education and training for Human Rights […]
- NGOs release "Demystifying Development Banks" multimedia presentation
Demystifying Development Banks – Tools for Environmental and Human Rights Defenders Human rights and environmental defenders around the world are fighting to ensure that development projects like infrastructure, energy and agriculture investments respect the human rights and priorities of local communities. One critical tool in this fight is knowing how to leverage the public […]
- GUATEMALA GUATEMALA: European Parliament (EP) mobilises for HRDs
Worrying statistics for human rights defenders (HRDs) in Guatemala has led the European Parliament to approve on an urgent resolution on the situation of HRDs in Guatemala during its plenary session on 16 February in Strasbourg. Between January and November 2016, 223 assaults were registered against HDRs as well as 14 killings and 7 attempted […]
- DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO / DR CONGO / DRC UNSR Michel Forst visit to DRC
UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders Michel Forst made an academic visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo from the 13 to 18 February 2017 upon invitation by Protection International (PI). He was welcomed by representatives of the Bureau Conjoint des Nations Unies aux Droits de l’Homme (BCNUDH), The United […]
- DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO / DR CONGO / DRC PI launches campaign "Voices of Defenders in DRC"
“Voices of Defenders in DRC ” denounces the shrinking space for human rights defenders (HRDs) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo who struggle in a context of rising political unrest. Protection International advocates for better protection of HRDs so they can continue their activities safely. The PI team in DRC stands as a security […]